Mountains, lakes and rivers shape the landscape of the Virginia’s First region, offering a myriad of outdoor recreation opportunities. There are opportunities to hike, bike, canoe, kayak, picnic, bird watch, go sightseeing, ride horses, along with many others. Whether you prefer to hike on the Appalachian Trail, enjoy a day of water sports or relaxation on Claytor Lake, bike on a section of the 52-mile New River Trail, float the New River or travel down the Blue Ridge Parkway to enjoy the scenery, the area has a lot to offer to the outdoor enthusiast.
The region also offers a unique cultural experience. Two state universities offer plays, art exhibits, concerts, and other entertainment for all audiences. These large concentrations of students and people in the metro area, along with the larger metro of nearby Roanoke, draw concerts and other events from popular bands, theater groups, and musicals. Pulaski County’s Fine Arts Center for the New River Valley provides space for enjoying the arts while also providing educational programs. There is also the unique culture of Appalachia, where local art, handicrafts, and bluegrass/old-time music is put on display at various venues throughout the New River Valley, most notably the Floyd Country Store.
The New River Valley also offers many opportunities for the sports enthusiast. Look no further than the two state universities of Radford University and Virginia Tech for Division 1 NCAA sports. There are also two minor league baseball teams in the area. Within the New River Valley is the Pulaski Mariners and the Roanoke Valley fields Class A team Salem Red Sox.
All of these aspects and many more offer a quality of life unique to the region. Listed below are some links to these area attractions that residents and visitors alike enjoy in the New River Valley:
- Hiking trails around the region including the Appalachian Trail
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Calfee Park minor league baseball
- Local wineries such as Chateau Morrisette winery
- Christiansburg Retail/Shopping District including the New River Valley Mall
- Claytor Lake State Park - fishing, boating, sailing, jet skiing, etc.
- Intercollegiate Sports - Radford University (Big South Conference) & Virginia Tech (ACC)
- Lyric Theater
- Mabry Mill - the most photographed scene on the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Motor Mile Speedway & drag strip
- Mountain Lake Resort
- New River - fishing, boating, kayaking, etc.
- Venues for heritage music along the Crooked Road including The Country Store - Friday Night Jamboree
- And artisans, accommodations and dining along the heritage cultural arts trail ‘Round the Mountain